- What is E-ZPass®?
- E-ZPass® is an electronic-toll collection system that removes
cash, coins and toll tickets from the toll-collection process. Instead, drivers open accounts with the Maryland
Transportation Authority and pay tolls in advance by way of small electronic devices attached to their vehicles’ windshields.
- How does E-ZPass® work?
- Your vehicle is equipped with a small electronic device called a transponder, which transmits information. This
information is processed, and a toll is deducted automatically from your account as your vehicle passes through the toll lane.
- How can I pay for my account?
- You may make payments to your account conveniently
and automatically by credit card, or you may choose to pay by check, money order or cash. By choosing to
replenish your account automatically by credit card, you avoid the chance of having insufficient funds in your
account. If you elect to pay by check or money order, please send your toll payment to:
Maryland Service Center
P.O. Box 17600
Baltimore, MD 21297-7600
If you wish to replenish your account with cash, you must
make cash payments in person at the E-ZPass® Service Center or at any E-ZPass Maryland Customer Service Center
Center. Visit the E-ZPass® Maryland website or call 1-888-321-6824 and select option #5 for a complete listing of center hours, addresses,
- Is there a location other than my vehicle’s windshield where I may affix my E-ZPass® transponder?
- No. Unless your E-ZPass® is installed exactly as shown in
the E-ZPass® Customer GuideBook, it may not be "read" by the E-ZPass® antenna. Placing the transponder on the sun
visor, the rear-view mirror, the dashboard, the seat, or in your hand may work occasionally but will not work
consistently. Install the transponder exactly as shown in the instructions on page 3. Transponders installed incorrectly
or not at all can result in toll-evasion violations, administrative fees or delays at the toll booth. In addition,
customers subscribing to discount plans may be charged full fare for these transactions if their transponders are not
installed properly, or are not installed at all.
- How much does E-ZPass® cost?
- E-ZPass® Maryland Interior transponders are FREE. When opening an account, a prepaid toll amount of $25 is required for each transponder requested. There is no $1.50 monthly account maintenance fee for Maryland addresses and for out-of-state addresses with three or more trips at Maryland toll facilities in the previous statement period.