|E‑ZPass® MARYLAND PRIVATE ACCOUNT TERMS AND CONDITIONS
These Terms and Conditions, together with your E‑ZPass Maryland
Application ("Application"), constitute your E‑ZPass Maryland Agreement
("Agreement"). E‑ZPass is a multi-state system, which includes E‑ZPass,
E‑ZPass Plus, and other tolling facilities ("Facilities"). In Maryland, this system
is operated by the Maryland Transportation Authority (hereinafter "E‑ZPass
Maryland"). E‑ZPass Maryland has various agreements with other tolling
entities to allow electronic financial transactions to be recorded by an E‑ZPass
transponder or other toll collection means and processed through an E‑ZPass
account. Please read these Terms and Conditions and keep them for your
records. When you open an E‑ZPass Maryland Account ("Account") or use an
E‑ZPass transponder issued by E‑ZPass Maryland, you agree as follows:
- You are responsible for maintaining your Account and for monitoring your
Account balance and activity.
- You shall not assign the obligations or benefits of this Agreement to
anyone else without the express written consent of E‑ZPass Maryland.
- You must approach and pass through E‑ZPass toll lanes at the posted
speed limit. Failure to obey the posted speed limit may result in
suspension of your Account or Account closure.
- In staffed toll lanes, you shall come to a complete stop and proceed
only on a green signal unless otherwise directed, even if your vehicle is
equipped with an E‑ZPass transponder.
- You shall comply with all applicable traffic laws, regulations, signs,
signals and directions of E‑ZPass Maryland employees, agents and law
- E‑ZPass Maryland may deny any Application at any time because of
outstanding account maintenance fees, unpaid Video Toll transactions,
citations including civil penalties, or the submission of false information.
- You acknowledge and understand that you and your vehicle may be
recorded on a video monitoring system and/or digitally photographed
while traveling through a Maryland toll collection facility and other
Facilities that have an agreement with E‑ZPass Maryland and/or accept
E‑ZPass. You expressly understand that E‑ZPass Maryland and other
Facilities monitor the use of the transponder for the purpose of toll
collection, traffic monitoring and detecting violations of this Agreement.
- You expressly understand that E‑ZPass Maryland may use information
gathered from the government agency that is responsible for motor
vehicle registrations, in addition to information submitted by you when
posting transactions to your Account and deducting applicable tolls.
- You authorize E‑ZPass Maryland to process through your Account, the
payment of tolls and fees incurred from the use of Facilities.
- Failure to comply with this Agreement may result in any or all of the
following: Video Toll transactions, citations including civil penalties,
suspension of your Account, Account closure, refusal or suspension
of your motor vehicle registration and referral to the Maryland Central
Collection Unit ("CCU"). The Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration
("MVA") and CCU may assess additional fees.
- You agree to inform E‑ZPass Maryland of any changes to your
Account. Failure to keep your Account up-to-date may result in
Video Toll transactions. The following information must be kept
- Name(s) on the Account;
- Telephone number;
- E-mail address, if provided or if receiving electronic Account
- Vehicle information (registration plate number ("license plate") and
state, make, model, and year);
- Expiration date of credit card account, or change in credit card
number, if applicable;
- Payment method;
- Driver's license identification number and state of issuance or
state issued identification card number and state of issuance, if
- Federal Employer Identification Number ("FEIN"), if provided.
- You may have up to four (4) transponders and ten (10) vehicles registered
on your Private Account. If you require more than four (4) transponders or
ten (10) vehicles on your Account, you must close your Private Account
and open a Business Account. Please see the Business Account Terms
- You must maintain a positive Account balance to cover applicable
charges to your Account. Applicable tolls will be deducted from your
Account each time the transponder is detected, a vehicle registered
on your Account passes through a Facility, or a transaction is matched
by E‑ZPass Maryland to your Account. E‑ZPass Maryland matches a
transaction to your Account through information provided by you to
E‑ZPass Maryland or registered owner information obtained from the
government agency that is responsible for motor vehicle registrations.
The information used to match a transaction to your Account includes,
but is not limited to, an identical driver's license identification number,
FEIN or the same name and address. E‑ZPass Maryland also may deduct
from your Account any applicable fees. (See XV. Schedule of Fees.)
- E‑ZPass Maryland may add a license plate to your Account if it is
matched to your Account by E‑ZPass Maryland for electronic toll
collection. The vehicle may be matched to your Account through
information on your Account or information obtained from the
government agency responsible for motor vehicle registrations. E‑ZPass
Maryland may match a vehicle to your Account through identical driver's
license identification numbers, identical FEIN or the same name and
- E‑ZPass Maryland may add a driver's license identification number or
FEIN to your Account if a transaction is applied to your Account and the
driver's license identification number or FEIN is available. The driver's
license identification number or FEIN is obtained through the government
agency that is responsible for motor vehicle registrations, when searching
the registered owner vehicle information for an E‑ZPass Maryland toll
- E‑ZPass Maryland may add an address to your Account if a transaction
is applied to your Account and a new address is available. The address
is obtained through relevant government agencies and associated
services when searching the registered owner information for an E‑ZPass
Maryland toll transaction.
- No interest will be paid on any funds held in your Account.
- Accounts without a Maryland address will be charged a monthly account
maintenance fee. The maintenance fee will be waived if the Account
uses Maryland toll facilities at least three times in the previous statement
period. The fee, if charged, will be deducted from your Account. Account
maintenance fees are nonrefundable.
- If you choose, you may receive a periodic statement, as selected on your
Application. If there is no activity on your Account during the applicable
period covered by such statement, you will not receive a statement.
- You may be charged a fee for any request to retrieve a statement.
Statements more than one (1) year old are not available.
- You agree that sending information via First-Class mail, email, or text
message to the address, email address or cell phone number on your
Application or to an address, email address or cell phone number
that you subsequently provide to E‑ZPass Maryland constitutes notice
to you of the tolls, fees or charges owed, changes to account terms
and conditions, and of any determination by E‑ZPass Maryland of any
submitted dispute of tolls and fees related to this Agreement. You will be
required to opt-in to text messaging service.
E‑ZPass Maryland two-axle vehicle discount plans are linked to a specific
transponder assigned to your Account. Plan cycles begin when first used and
end after the specified number of days of the plan or when all trips are used,
whichever comes first. The account is charged the discounted toll rate when
each trip is recorded using the transponder specifically associated with the
valid discount plan. All E‑ZPass Maryland discount plans are time sensitive.
Any unused trips within the discount plan cycle will be deducted from your
Account ten (10) days after the plan cycle ends and will be reflected on your
statement. If the transponder is not read, but the license plate of the vehicle
is registered on the Account or the transaction is otherwise matched by
E‑ZPass Maryland to your Account, you will be charged the cash toll rate
instead of the discount plan rate. A Video Toll transaction will result if the
transponder is not read and the license plate is not on the Account or the
transaction is not otherwise matched by E‑ZPass Maryland to your Account.
Unused trips in a discount plan are not refundable.
- You must pay a minimum advance toll payment or replenishment
amount, which is a prepayment to your Account, sufficient to pay
Account charges for a one-month period of time.
- Advance toll payments are not available for use from your Account until
twenty-four (24) hours after replenishment for in-state use and forty-eight
(48) hours after replenishment for out-of-state use.
- E‑ZPass Maryland will perform an Account analysis on all new Accounts
thirty-five (35) days from the first use of a transponder and every sixty
(60) days thereafter. If your average monthly usage, within a sixty (60) day
period, is above or below your replenishment amount, E‑ZPass Maryland
will automatically adjust your replenishment amount to approximate
one-month's level of use. The change in your replenishment amount will
be reported on your account statement.
- You agree to replenish your Account by this amount when your Account
balance decreases to or falls below the minimum balance specific to the
Account plan you selected in your Application.
- You may choose to replenish your Account in one of the following ways:
- By credit card. You may authorize E‑ZPass Maryland to charge
your credit card automatically for all charges to your Account; or
you may authorize a one-time online credit card payment via the
website at ezpassmd.com, at an E‑ZPass Maryland Stop-In Center,
by telephone at 1-888-321-6824, or by mail to E‑ZPass Maryland
Service Center, P.O. Box 17600, Baltimore, Maryland 21297-7600;
- By check or money order made payable to E‑ZPass Maryland.
Your payment may be sent by mail or made at an E‑ZPass
Maryland Stop-In Center; or
- By cash payment in U.S. dollars in person at an E‑ZPass Maryland
Stop-In Center. DO NOT SEND CASH BY MAIL OR LEAVE CASH
IN A DROP BOX.
- You may have more than one replenishment transaction within a onemonth
period based upon your usage.
- If you fail to maintain a positive balance on your Account and you pass
through a Maryland Facility, a Video Toll transaction will result. Further,
if you fail to maintain a positive Account balance and you use Facilities
outside of Maryland, you will be issued a violation notice from that state
in accordance with its laws.
- You acknowledge that a fee will be charged to you for each returned
check and returned Automated Clearing House (ACH) transaction should
an overdraft occur. You agree that the fee may be deducted from your
Account. (See Section XV. Schedule of Fees.)
E‑ZPass Maryland may change the Terms and Conditions of this Agreement
at any time by advance notice. These Terms and Conditions shall be
effective on July 1, 2015. If you do not agree to accept the new Terms and
Conditions, you must close your Account prior to the effective date of the
new Terms and Conditions. The invalidity of any of the Terms and Conditions
of this Agreement shall not affect the enforceability of any other Terms and
Conditions of this Agreement, which shall remain in full force and effect.
- You agree to correctly mount, display and use the transponder in
accordance with the instructions provided by E‑ZPass Maryland.
Do not mount the transponder in any location that could interfere with
your visibility or ability to operate your vehicle. Failure to mount the
transponder correctly may hinder toll collection, may result in a higher
toll rate being deducted from your Account or may result in a Video Toll
- A nonrefundable transponder fee will be charged for each transponder
issued to your new Account or to an existing E‑ZPass Maryland Account,
unless you are using a valid previously-owned transponder, in which case
no transponder fee will be charged.
- A defective transponder may be replaced with a similar unit within the
transponder's warranty period if the transponder has not been damaged,
defaced or improperly used as determined by E‑ZPass Maryland.
However, if E‑ZPass Maryland determines the transponder has been
damaged, defaced or improperly used, a nonrefundable transponder
fee will be charged for a replacement transponder. The warranty period
begins on the date of issuance of the transponder to the first owner and
is based upon the model of the transponder.
- You may use the transponder only with the vehicle(s) specifically
registered on your Account.
- When you use the transponder or any vehicle registered on your Account
at any Facilities or a transaction is otherwise matched by E‑ZPass
Maryland to your Account, you authorize E‑ZPass Maryland to debit your
Account for such use.
- If you use the transponder at Facilities outside of Maryland, you are
subject to the laws and regulations governing such use.
- Transactions in which the transponder is not read may result in a higher
toll rate being deducted from your Account or the issuance of a Video Toll
- If your transponder is lost or stolen, you must immediately notify
E‑ZPass Maryland verbally, in writing, or via the website. Until you notify
E‑ZPass Maryland that your transponder has been lost or stolen, E‑ZPass
Maryland will continue to deduct any tolls or fees incurred by your
transponder from your Account. You will not be liable for transponder
use that occurs after you notify E‑ZPass Maryland. If a replacement
transponder is requested, a nonrefundable transponder fee will be
charged for the replacement.
- If you no longer wish to use a transponder issued to your Account, you
may return the transponder to E‑ZPass Maryland for proper disposal. If
you are returning your transponder and closing your Account, refer to
Section IX Termination of this Agreement for voluntary Account closure
You hereby authorize E‑ZPass Maryland to decide every question or issue in
connection with or related to this Agreement, including, without limitation,
the imposition of tolls, fees, or other charges incurred, applied or stated
for the use or misuse of your transponder or Account. You may dispute the
imposition of charges or fees related to your Account verbally or in writing to
the E‑ZPass Maryland Customer Service Center. Such dispute must be made
within one hundred twenty (120) days from the date the transaction is posted
to your Account. A Video Toll transaction may be disputed as indicated on an
NOTD and is not covered by this Agreement.
- A Video Toll transaction will occur at Maryland Facilities in any of the
- When the transponder is detected, and the Account has a negative
- When the transponder is not detected for any reason, including
improper mounting to your vehicle, and the vehicle is not
registered on your Account;
- When the transaction is otherwise not matched by E‑ZPass
Maryland to your Account;
- When the transponder is detected after it has been reported lost or
- When the Account has been suspended or closed.
- Video Toll transactions result in issuance of a Notice of Toll Due (NOTD)
charging the Video Toll rate.
- An NOTD will be sent for a Video Toll transaction via First-Class mail to
the registered owner of the vehicle as determined by the information
gathered from the government agency that is responsible for motor
This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the
laws of the State of Maryland.
You agree to pay all costs, including attorneys' fees, incurred by E‑ZPass
Maryland and all entities providing E‑ZPass services to collect any funds,
including CCU and MVA fees, due under the terms of this Agreement.
E‑ZPass Maryland respects the right of privacy and confidentiality of all
Account holders. Account information will not be disclosed to third parties
without your consent except as permissible by law and the policies of
E‑ZPass and the entities providing E‑ZPass services.
You acknowledge that E‑ZPass Maryland and all entities providing E‑ZPass
services have not made, and expressly disclaim any representation or
warranty, expressed or implied, relating to the transponder including, without
limitation, any implied or expressed warranty of merchantability, fitness
for a particular purpose or conformity to models or samples. You agree
that E‑ZPass Maryland and all entities providing E‑ZPass services will have
no obligation or liability whatsoever to you with respect to your use or the
performance of the transponder, except as specifically provided herein. You
agree to indemnify and hold harmless E‑ZPass Maryland and all entities
providing E‑ZPass services from and against all damage, loss, cost, expense
or liability relating to, arising from, or as a result of, the use, installation,
performance, or removal of the transponder.
Please send correspondence, inquiries, payments and transponder returns to:
- In order to terminate this Agreement and voluntarily close your Account,
- submit a request stating your intent to close your Account and
terminate this Agreement;
- Send a written request stating your intent to close your Account
and terminate this Agreement;
- Visit an E‑ZPass Maryland Stop-In Center and request to close your
Account and terminate this Agreement; or
- Contact the E‑ZPass Maryland Customer Service Center at 1-888-
321-6824 and request to close your Account and terminate this
- Additionally, you shall:
- Pay all amounts owed to E‑ZPass Maryland, including:
- Pending toll transactions;
- Unused discount plan charges;
- Negative Account balance;
- Unpaid tolls, fees, and civil penalties as applicable; and
- Other Account related fees, as applicable.
- Stop using your Account as it is no longer valid for any toll activity
throughout the entire E‑ZPass system.
- If the financial settlement results in a positive Account balance, a refund
will be issued. If a negative Account balance results, a letter showing the
balance due will be sent to you for payment. Unused trips in a discount
plan are not eligible for refunds. Refunds are sent within thirty (30) days
of Account termination in accordance with a) and b) above.
- E‑ZPass Maryland may terminate this Agreement and close your Account
at any time and for any reason, including inactivity.
- You may return your transponder(s) to E‑ZPass Maryland for proper
disposal since it contains a lithium battery. If you do not return your
transponder to E‑ZPass Maryland for proper disposal, you are responsible
for consulting federal, state and local waste regulations to determine
appropriate disposal options.
E‑ZPass Maryland Service Center, P.O. Box 17600, Baltimore, Maryland
Inquiries and payments can also be made at: ezpassmd.com and 1-888-
Nonrefundable Transponder Fee: Prices vary by model, See the
Application, Part 3
Monthly Account Maintenance Fee, if applicable (see Section II.h)
Nonsufficient Funds Fee (returned checks): $25.00
Civil Penalty: $50.00
Additional Copies of Statements: $.25 per page
All fees are subject to change without notice.
Effective: July 1, 2015
View printer friendly version