|E‑ZPass® MARYLAND THOMAS J. HATEM MEMORIAL BRIDGE (US 40)
CHOICE A DISCOUNT PLAN ACCOUNT TERMS AND CONDITIONS
These Terms and Conditions, together with your E‑ZPass Maryland Thomas
J. Hatem Memorial Bridge/US 40 ("Hatem Bridge") Only, Choice A, E‑ZPass
Plan Application ("Application"), constitute your E‑ZPass Maryland Agreement
("Agreement") for the Hatem Bridge only, which is owned and operated by
the Maryland Transportation Authority. E‑ZPass is a multi-state system, which
includes E‑ZPass, E‑ZPass Plus, and other tolling facilities ("Facilities"). In
Maryland, this system is operated by the Maryland Transportation Authority
(hereinafter "E‑ZPass Maryland"). Please read these Terms and Conditions and
keep them for your records. When you open an E‑ZPass Maryland Hatem Bridge
Only, Choice A, E‑ZPass Plan Account ("Account" or "Hatem Bridge Only Choice
A E‑ZPass Plan"), you agree as follows:
- The Hatem Bridge Only Choice A E‑ZPass Plan Account is valid only at
the Hatem Bridge. If you require use at other Facilities through an E‑ZPass
Maryland Account, you must open an E‑ZPass Maryland Private or Business
- The Hatem Bridge Only Choice A E‑ZPass Plan is limited to two-axle vehicles
only. Vehicles with three or more axles cannot open this type of Account and
will be required to pay applicable tolls.
- This Account cannot be used if the combined vehicle axle count is three or
more. Vehicles exceeding two axles will have to pay the full toll rate and may
not use the Account towards the toll.
- You are responsible for maintaining your Account and monitoring your Hatem
Bridge Only Choice A E‑ZPass Plan end date.
- You shall not assign the obligations or benefits of this Agreement to anyone
else without the express written consent of E‑ZPass Maryland.
- You must approach and pass through E‑ZPass toll lanes at the posted speed
limit. Failure to obey the posted speed limit may result in suspension of your
Account or Account closure.
- In staffed toll lanes, you shall come to a complete stop and proceed only on a
green signal unless otherwise directed, even if your vehicle is equipped with
an E‑ZPass transponder.
- You shall comply with all applicable traffic laws, regulations, signs, signals
and directions of E‑ZPass Maryland employees, agents and law enforcement
- E‑ZPass Maryland may deny any Application at any time because of
outstanding unpaid Video Toll transactions, citations including civil penalties,
or the submission of false information.
- You acknowledge and understand that you and your vehicle may be recorded
on a video monitoring system and/or digitally photographed while traveling
through a Maryland toll collection facility and other Facilities that have an
agreement with E‑ZPass Maryland and/or accept E‑ZPass. You expressly
understand that E‑ZPass Maryland and other Facilities monitor the use of the
transponder for the purpose of toll collection, traffic monitoring and detecting
violations of this Agreement.
- You authorize E‑ZPass Maryland to process transactions through your
Account for trips on the Hatem Bridge; no other Facilities’ transactions can
be processed through your Account because no pre-paid toll balance is
- You expressly understand that E‑ZPass Maryland may use information
gathered from the government agency that is responsible for motor vehicle
registrations in addition to information submitted by you to process through
your Account trips on the Hatem Bridge.
- Failure to comply with this Agreement may result in any or all of the
following: Video Toll transactions, citations including civil penalties,
suspension of your Account, Account closure, refusal or suspension of your
motor vehicle registration and referral to the Maryland Central Collection
Unit ("CCU"). The Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration ("MVA") and CCU
may assess additional fees.
- You agree to inform E‑ZPass Maryland of any changes to your
Account. Failure to keep your Account up-to-date may result in Video
Toll transactions. The following information must be kept current:
- Name(s) on the Account;
- Telephone number;
- E-mail address, if provided;
- Vehicle information (registration plate number ("license plate") and state,
make, model, and year);
- Driver’s license identification number and state of issuance or state issued
identification card number and state of issuance, if provided; and
- Federal Employer Identification Number ("FEIN"), if provided.
- You may have up to four (4) transponders and ten (10) vehicles registered on
- You are not required to maintain a prepaid toll deposit. However, you are
required to pay an annual fee for each Hatem Bridge Only Choice A E‑ZPass
Plan you want associated with a transponder. There is no monthly account
- E‑ZPass Maryland may add a license plate to your Account if it is matched to
your Account by E‑ZPass Maryland and a valid transponder is not detected
for electronic toll collection. The vehicle may be matched to your Account
through information on your Account or information obtained from the
government agency responsible for motor vehicle registrations. E‑ZPass
Maryland may match a vehicle to your Account through identical driver’s
license identification numbers, identical FEIN or the same name and address.
- E‑ZPass Maryland may add a driver’s license identification number or FEIN
to your Account if a valid transponder is not detected and the driver’s license
identification number or FEIN is available. The driver’s license identification
number or FEIN is obtained through the government agency that is
responsible for motor vehicle registrations when searching the registered
owner vehicle information for an E‑ZPass Maryland toll facility transaction.
- E‑ZPass Maryland may add an address to your Account if a Video Toll
transaction occurs on any Maryland toll facility and a new address is available.
The address is obtained through relevant government agencies and associated
services when searching the registered owner information for an E‑ZPass
Maryland toll transaction.
- You will not receive an Account statement. As a courtesy, a renewal notice
will be mailed to you, at your last known address, 45 days prior to your annual
renewal date followed by a reminder notice, which will be mailed 15 days
prior to the renewal date. However, it is your responsibility to be aware of
your plan’s expiration date. Failure to renew your plan will result in Video Toll
transactions if the transponder is used after the expiration date of the Hatem
Bridge Only Choice A E‑ZPass Plan.
- You agree that sending information via First-Class mail, email, or text message
to the address, email address or cell phone number on your Application or
to an address, email address or cell phone number that you subsequently
provide to E‑ZPass Maryland constitutes notice to you of the tolls, fees
or charges owed, changes to account terms and conditions, and of any
determination by E‑ZPass Maryland of any submitted dispute of tolls and fees
related to this Agreement. You will be required to opt-in to text messaging
The Hatem Bridge Only Choice A E‑ZPass Plan is linked to a specific transponder
assigned to your Account. Your transponder must be read in order for the plan
discount to be applied. Other E‑ZPass Maryland discount plans are not available
on the Hatem Bridge Only Choice A E‑ZPass Plan.
- You must pay an annual renewal fee for each Hatem Bridge Only Choice A
E‑ZPass Plan you want associated with a transponder.
- You may choose to renew your Hatem Bridge Only Choice A E‑ZPass Plan in
one of the following ways:
- By credit card. You may authorize E‑ZPass Maryland to charge your credit
card online at ezpassmd.com, at an E‑ZPass Maryland Customer Service Center,
by telephone at 1-888-321-6824 or by mail to E‑ZPass Maryland Service
Center, P.O. Box 17600, Baltimore, Maryland 21297-7600;
- By check or money order made payable to E‑ZPass Maryland. Your
payment may be sent by mail or made at an E‑ZPass Maryland Customer Service
- By cash payment in U.S. dollars in person at an E‑ZPass Maryland Customer Service
Center. DO NOT SEND CASH BY MAIL OR LEAVE CASH IN A DROP
- You acknowledge that a fee will be charged to you for each returned check
and returned Automated Clearing House (ACH) transaction should an
overdraft occur. You agree to pay the fee, which will be noticed to you by mail
to the address listed on your Account on file with E‑ZPass Maryland. (See
Section XV. Schedule of Fees.)
- Should your renewal payment for the Hatem Bridge Only Choice A E‑ZPass
Plan be reversed by your credit card company or your check is returned
unpaid by your financial institution, the transponder associated with the plan
will become inactive and the registered owner of the vehicle may incur Video
E‑ZPass Maryland may change the Terms and Conditions of this Agreement
at any time by advance notice. These Terms and Conditions shall be effective
on July 1, 2015. If you do not agree to accept the new Terms and Conditions,
you must close your Account prior to the effective date of the new Terms and
Conditions. The invalidity of any of the Terms and Conditions of this Agreement
shall not affect the enforceability of any other Terms and Conditions of this
Agreement, which shall remain in full force and effect.
- You agree to correctly mount, display and use the transponder in
accordance with the instructions provided by E‑ZPass Maryland. Do not
mount the transponder in any location that could interfere with your visibility
or ability to operate your vehicle. Failure to mount the transponder correctly
may hinder transponder detection, resulting in a Video Toll transaction.
- Your transponder is valid only at the Hatem Bridge. If you attempt to use the
Hatem Bridge Only Choice A E‑ZPass Plan transponder at any other Maryland
facility, it will result in a Video Toll transaction. Further, your transponder is not
valid outside of Maryland. If you attempt to use the transponder outside of
Maryland, you will be issued a violation notice from that state in accordance
with its laws and regulations.
- A nonrefundable transponder fee will be charged for each transponder issued
to your new Account or to an existing Hatem Bridge Only Choice A E‑ZPass
Plan, unless you are using a valid previously-owned transponder, in which
case no transponder fee will be charged.
- A defective transponder may be replaced with a similar unit within the
transponder’s warranty period if the transponder has not been damaged,
defaced or improperly used as determined by E‑ZPass Maryland. However, if
E‑ZPass Maryland determines the transponder has been damaged, defaced,
or improperly used, a nonrefundable transponder fee will be charged for a
replacement transponder. The warranty period begins on the date of issuance
of the transponder to the first owner and is based upon the model of the
- You may use the transponder only with the vehicle(s) specifically registered on
- If your transponder is lost or stolen, you must immediately notify E‑ZPass
Maryland verbally, in writing, or via the website. If a replacement transponder
is requested, a nonrefundable transponder fee will be charged for the
- If you no longer wish to use a transponder issued to your Account, you may
return the transponder to E‑ZPass Maryland for proper disposal. If you are
returning your transponder and closing your Account, refer to Section IX
Termination of this Agreement for voluntary Account closure instructions.
You hereby authorize E‑ZPass Maryland to decide every question or issue in
connection with or related to this Agreement, including, without limitation, the
imposition of tolls, fees, or other charges incurred, applied or stated for the use
or misuse of your transponder or Account. You may dispute the imposition of
charges or fees related to your Account verbally or in writing to the E‑ZPass
Maryland Customer Service Center. Such dispute must be made within one
hundred twenty (120) days from the date the transaction is posted to your
Account. A Video Toll transaction may be disputed as indicated on an NOTD and
is not covered by this Agreement.
- A Video Toll transaction will occur at Maryland Facilities in any of the following
- When the transponder is used at an E‑ZPass Maryland facility other than
the Hatem Bridge;
- When the transponder is not read for any reason, including improper
mounting to your vehicle;
- When the transponder is detected after it has been reported lost or stolen;
- When the Account has been suspended or closed;
- When the Hatem Bridge Only Choice A E‑ZPass Plan is not renewed; and
- When the Hatem Bridge Only Choice A E‑ZPass Plan transponder
becomes inactive due to a payment reversal or when the check is
returned unpaid by your financial institution.
- Video Toll transactions result in issuance of a Notice of Toll Due (NOTD)
charging the Video Toll rate.
- An NOTD will be sent for a Video Toll transaction via First-Class mail to
the registered owner of the vehicle as determined by the information
gathered from the government agency that is responsible for motor vehicle
This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws
of the State of Maryland.
You agree to pay all costs, including attorneys’ fees, incurred by E‑ZPass
Maryland and all entities providing E‑ZPass services to collect any funds,
including CCU and MVA fees, due under the terms of this Agreement.
E‑ZPass Maryland respects the right of privacy and confidentiality of all Account
holders. Account information will not be disclosed to third parties without your
consent except as permissible by law and the policies of E‑ZPass and the entities
providing E‑ZPass services.
You acknowledge that E‑ZPass Maryland and all entities providing E‑ZPass
services have not made, and expressly disclaim any representation or
warranty, expressed or implied, relating to the transponder including, without
limitation, any implied or expressed warranty of merchantability, fitness for a
particular purpose or conformity to models or samples. You agree that E‑ZPass
Maryland and all entities providing E‑ZPass services will have no obligation or
liability whatsoever to you with respect to your use or the performance of the
transponder, except as specifically provided herein. You agree to indemnify and
hold harmless E‑ZPass Maryland and all entities providing E‑ZPass services from
and against all damage, loss, cost, expense or liability relating to, arising from, or
as a result of, the use, installation, performance, or removal of the transponder.
Please send correspondence, inquiries, payments and transponder returns to:
- In order to terminate this Agreement and voluntarily close your Account, you
- Access your E‑ZPass Maryland Account at .ezpassmd.com and submit
a request stating your intent to close your Account and terminate this
- Send a written request stating your intent to close your Account and
terminate this Agreement;
- Visit an E‑ZPass Maryland Customer Service Center and request to close your
Account and terminate this Agreement; or
- Contact the E‑ZPass Maryland Customer Service Center at 1-888-321-
6824 and request to close your Account and terminate this Agreement.
- Additionally, you shall:
- Pay all amounts owed to E‑ZPass Maryland, including:
- Unpaid tolls, fees, and civil penalties as applicable; and
- Other Account related fees, as applicable.
- Stop using your Account as it is no longer valid.
- The Hatem Bridge Only Choice A E‑ZPass Plan annual fee is not eligible for a
- E‑ZPass Maryland may terminate this Agreement and close your Account at
any time and for any reason, including inactivity or nonrenewal.
- E‑ZPass Maryland will automatically terminate this agreement and close your
Account if all plans on your Account have been expired for at least 60 days.
- You may return your transponder(s) to E‑ZPass Maryland for proper disposal
since it contains a lithium battery. If you do not return your transponder to
E‑ZPass Maryland for proper disposal, you are responsible for consulting
federal, state and local waste regulations to determine appropriate disposal
E‑ZPass Maryland Service Center, P.O. Box 17600, Baltimore, Maryland 21297-
Inquiries and payments can also be made at: ezpassmd.com and 1-888-321-
Nonrefundable Transponder Fee: Prices vary by model, See the Application,
Nonsufficient Funds Fee (returned checks): $25.00
Civil Penalty: $50.00
All fees are subject to change without notice.
Effective: July 1, 2015
View printer friendly version