|E‑ZPass® MARYLAND BUSINESS ACCOUNT TERMS AND CONDITIONS
These Terms and Conditions, together with your E‑ZPass Maryland Application
("Application"), constitute your E‑ZPass Maryland Agreement ("Agreement"). E‑ZPass
is a multi-state system, which includes E‑ZPass, E‑ZPass Plus, and other tolling facilities
("Facilities"). In Maryland, this system is operated by the Maryland Transportation
Authority (hereinafter "E‑ZPass Maryland"). E‑ZPass Maryland has various agreements
with other tolling entities to allow electronic financial transactions to be recorded by an
E‑ZPass transponder or other toll collection means and processed through an E‑ZPass
account. Please read these Terms and Conditions and keep them for your records. When
you open an E‑ZPass Maryland Account ("Account") or use an E‑ZPass transponder
issued by E‑ZPass Maryland, you agree as follows:
- You are responsible for maintaining your Account and for monitoring your
Account balance and activity.
- You shall not assign the obligations or benefits of this Agreement to anyone else
without the express written consent of E‑ZPass Maryland.
- You must approach and pass through E‑ZPass toll lanes at the posted speed limit.
Failure to obey the posted speed limit may result in suspension of your Account or
- In staffed toll lanes, you shall come to a complete stop and proceed only on a
green signal unless otherwise directed, even if your vehicle is equipped with an
- You shall comply with all applicable traffic laws, regulations, signs, signals and
directions of E‑ZPass Maryland employees, agents and law enforcement officers.
- E‑ZPass Maryland may deny any Application at any time because of outstanding
account maintenance fees, unpaid Video Toll transactions, citations including civil
penalties, or the submission of false information.
- You acknowledge and understand that you and your vehicle may be recorded on a
video monitoring system and/or digitally photographed while traveling through a
Maryland toll collection facility and other Facilities that have an agreement with
E‑ZPass Maryland and/or accept E‑ZPass. You expressly understand that E‑ZPass
Maryland and other Facilities monitor the use of the transponder for the purpose of
toll collection, traffic monitoring and detecting violations of this Agreement.
- You expressly understand that E‑ZPass Maryland may use information gathered
from the government agency that is responsible for motor vehicle registrations,
in addition to information submitted by you when posting transactions to your
Account and deducting applicable tolls.
- You authorize E‑ZPass Maryland to process through your Account, the payment of
tolls and fees incurred from the use of Facilities.
- Failure to comply with this Agreement may result in any or all of the following:
Video Toll transactions, citations including civil penalties, suspension of your
Account, Account closure, refusal or suspension of your motor vehicle registration
and referral to the Maryland Central Collection Unit ("CCU"). The Maryland
Motor Vehicle Administration ("MVA") and CCU may assess additional fees.
- You agree to inform E‑ZPass Maryland of any changes to your Account.
Failure to keep your Account up-to-date may result in Video Toll transactions.
The following information must be kept current:
- Name(s) on the Account;
- Telephone number;
- E-mail address, if provided or if receiving electronic Account statements;
- Vehicle information (registration plate number ("license plate") and state,
make, model, and year);
- Expiration date of credit card account, or change in credit card number, if
- Payment method;
- Driver’s license identification number and state of issuance or state issued
identification card number and state of issuance, if provided; and
- Federal Employer Identification Number ("FEIN"), if provided.
- You must maintain a positive Account balance to cover applicable charges to
your Account. Applicable tolls will be deducted from your Account each time
the transponder is detected, a vehicle registered on your Account passes through
a Facility, or a transaction is matched by E‑ZPass Maryland to your Account.
E‑ZPass Maryland matches a transaction to your Account through information
provided by you to E‑ZPass Maryland or registered owner information obtained
from the government agency that is responsible for motor vehicle registrations.
The information used to match a transaction to your Account includes, but is not
limited to, an identical driver’s license identification number, FEIN or the same
name and address. E‑ZPass Maryland also may deduct from your Account any
applicable fees. (See XV. Schedule of Fees.)
- E‑ZPass Maryland may add a license plate to your Account if it is matched to your
Account by E‑ZPass Maryland for electronic toll collection. The vehicle may be
matched to your Account through information on your Account or information
obtained from the government agency responsible for motor vehicle registrations.
E‑ZPass Maryland may match a vehicle to your Account through identical driver’s
license identification numbers, identical FEIN or the same name and address.
- E‑ZPass Maryland may add a driver’s license identification number or FEIN to
your Account if a transaction is applied to your Account and the driver’s license
identification number or FEIN is available. The driver’s license identification
number or FEIN is obtained through the government agency that is responsible
for motor vehicle registrations, when searching the registered owner vehicle
information for an E‑ZPass Maryland toll facility transaction.
- E‑ZPass Maryland may add an address to your Account if a transaction is applied
to your Account and a new address is available. The address is obtained through
relevant government agencies and associated services when searching the
registered owner information for an E‑ZPass Maryland toll transaction.
- No interest will be paid on any funds held in your Account.
- Accounts without a Maryland address will be charged a monthly account
maintenance fee. The maintenance fee will be waived if the Account uses
Maryland toll facilities at least three times in the previous statement period. The
fee, if charged, will be deducted from your Account. Account maintenance fees are
- If you choose, you may receive a periodic statement, as selected on your
Application. If there is no activity on your Account during the applicable period
covered by such statement, you will not receive a statement.
- You may be charged a fee for any request to retrieve a statement. Statements more
than one (1) year old are not available.
- You agree that sending information via First-Class mail, email or text message
to the address, email address or cell phone number on your Application or to an
address, email address or cell phone number that you subsequently provide to
E‑ZPass Maryland constitutes notice to you of the tolls, fees or charges owed,
changes to account terms and conditions, and of any determination by E‑ZPass
Maryland of any submitted dispute of tolls and fees related to this Agreement. You
will be required to opt-in to text messaging service.
Two-Axle Vehicle Plans
- You must pay a minimum advance toll payment or replenishment amount, which is
a prepayment to your Account, sufficient to pay Account charges for a one-month
period of time.
- Advance toll payments are not available for use from your Account until twentyfour
(24) hours after replenishment for in-state use and forty-eight (48) hours after
replenishment for out-of-state use.
- E‑ZPass Maryland will perform an Account analysis on all new Accounts
thirty-five (35) days from the first use of a transponder and every sixty (60) days
thereafter. If your average monthly usage, within a sixty (60) day period, is above
or below your replenishment amount, E‑ZPass Maryland will automatically adjust
your replenishment amount to approximate one-month’s level of use. The change
in your replenishment amount will be reported on your account statement.
- You agree to replenish your Account by this amount when your Account balance
decreases to or falls below the minimum balance specific to the Account plan you
selected in your Application.
- You may choose to replenish your Account in one of the following ways:
- By credit card. You may authorize E‑ZPass Maryland to charge your credit
card automatically for all charges to your Account; or you may authorize
a one-time online credit card payment via the website atezpassmd.com, at
an E‑ZPass Maryland Customer Service Center, by telephone at 1-888-321-6824, or
by mail to E‑ZPass Maryland Service Center, P.O. Box 17600, Baltimore,
- By check or money order made payable to E‑ZPass Maryland. Your
payment may be sent by mail or made at an E‑ZPass E-ZPass Maryland Customer Service
- By cash payment in U.S. dollars in person at an E‑ZPass Maryland E-ZPass Maryland Customer Service
Center. DO NOT SEND CASH BY MAIL OR LEAVE CASH IN A DROP
- You may have more than one replenishment transaction within a one-month period
based upon your usage.
- If you fail to maintain a positive balance on your Account and you pass through
a Maryland Facility, a Video Toll transaction will result. Further, if you fail to
maintain a positive Account balance and you use Facilities outside of Maryland,
you will be issued a violation notice from that state in accordance with its laws.
- You acknowledge that a fee will be charged to you for each returned check and
returned Automated Clearing House (ACH) transaction should an overdraft occur.
You agree that the fee may be deducted from your Account.(See Section XV. Schedule of Fees.)
E‑ZPass Maryland two-axle vehicle discount plans are linked to a specific transponder
assigned to your Account. Plan cycles begin when first used and end after the specified
number of days of the plan or when all trips are used, whichever comes first. The
account is charged the discounted toll rate when each trip is recorded using the
transponder specifically associated with the valid discount plan. All E‑ZPass Maryland
discount plans are time sensitive. Any unused trips within the discount plan cycle will be
deducted from your Account ten (10) days after the plan cycle ends and will be reflected
on your statement. If the transponder is not read, but the license plate of the vehicle is
registered on the Account or the transaction is otherwise matched by E‑ZPass Maryland
to your Account, you will be charged the cash toll rate instead of the discount plan rate.
A Video Toll transaction will result if the transponder is not read and the license plate is
not on the Account or the transaction is not otherwise matched by E‑ZPass Maryland to
your Account. Unused trips in a discount plan are not refundable.
Three or more Axle Vehicles
Please see the E‑ZPass Maryland website (ezpassmd.com) for more information on
multi-axle vehicle discount plans and rates.
E‑ZPass Maryland may change the Terms and Conditions of this Agreement at any time
by advance notice. These Terms and Conditions shall be effective on July 1, 2015. If you
do not agree to accept the new Terms and Conditions, you must close your Account prior
to the effective date of the new Terms and Conditions. The invalidity of any of the Terms
and Conditions of this Agreement shall not affect the enforceability of any other Terms
and Conditions of this Agreement, which shall remain in full force and effect.
- You agree to correctly mount, display and use the transponder in accordance
with the instructions provided by E‑ZPass Maryland. Do not mount the
transponder in any location that could interfere with your visibility or ability to
operate your vehicle. Failure to mount the transponder correctly may hinder toll
collection, may result in a higher toll rate being deducted from your Account or
may result in a Video Toll transaction.
- A nonrefundable transponder fee will be charged for each transponder issued to
your new Account or to an existing E‑ZPass Maryland Account, unless you are
using a valid previously-owned transponder, in which case no transponder fee will
- A defective transponder may be replaced with a similar unit within the
transponder’s warranty period if the transponder has not been damaged, defaced
or improperly used as determined by E‑ZPass Maryland. However, if E‑ZPass
Maryland determines the transponder has been damaged, defaced or improperly
used, a nonrefundable transponder fee will be charged for a replacement
transponder. The warranty period begins on the date of issuance of the transponder
to the first owner and is based upon the model of the transponder.
- You may use the transponder only with the vehicle(s) specifically registered on
- When you use the transponder or any vehicle registered on your Account at any
Facilities or a transaction is otherwise matched by E‑ZPass Maryland to your
Account, you authorize E‑ZPass Maryland to debit your Account for such use.
- If you use the transponder at Facilities outside of Maryland, you are subject to the
laws and regulations governing such use.
- Transactions in which the transponder is not read may result in a higher toll rate
being deducted from your Account or the issuance of a Video Toll transaction.
- If your transponder is lost or stolen, you must immediately notify E‑ZPass
Maryland verbally, in writing, or via the website. Until you notify E‑ZPass
Maryland that your transponder has been lost or stolen, E‑ZPass Maryland will
continue to deduct any tolls or fees incurred by your transponder from your
Account. You will not be liable for transponder use that occurs after you notify
E‑ZPass Maryland. If a replacement transponder is requested, a nonrefundable
transponder fee will be charged for the replacement.
- If you no longer wish to use a transponder issued to your Account, you may return
the transponder to E‑ZPass Maryland for proper disposal. If you are returning
your transponder and closing your Account, refer to Section IX Termination of this
Agreement for voluntary Account closure instructions.
You hereby authorize E‑ZPass Maryland to decide every question or issue in connection
with or related to this Agreement, including, without limitation, the imposition of
tolls, fees, or other charges incurred, applied or stated for the use or misuse of your
transponder or Account. You may dispute the imposition of charges or fees related to
your Account verbally or in writing to the E‑ZPass Maryland Customer Service Center.
Such dispute must be made within one hundred twenty (120) days from the date the
transaction is posted to your Account. A Video Toll transaction may be disputed as
indicated on an NOTD and is not covered by this Agreement.
- A Video Toll transaction will occur at Maryland Facilities in any of the following
- When the transponder is detected, and the Account has a negative balance;
- When the transponder is not detected for any reason, including improper
mounting to your vehicle, and the vehicle is not registered on your Account;
- When the transaction is otherwise not matched by E‑ZPass Maryland to your
- When the transponder is detected after it has been reported lost or stolen; and
- When the Account has been suspended or closed.
- Video Toll transactions result in issuance of a Notice of Toll Due (NOTD) charging
the Video Toll rate.
- An NOTD will be sent for a Video Toll transaction via First-Class mail to the
registered owner of the vehicle as determined by the information gathered from the
government agency that is responsible for motor vehicle registrations.
This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of the
State of Maryland.
You agree to pay all costs, including attorneys’ fees, incurred by E‑ZPass Maryland and
all entities providing E‑ZPass services to collect any funds, including CCU and MVA
fees, due under the terms of this Agreement.
E‑ZPass Maryland respects the right of privacy and confidentiality of all Account
holders. Account information will not be disclosed to third parties without your consent
except as permissible by law and the policies of E‑ZPass and the entities providing
You acknowledge that E‑ZPass Maryland and all entities providing E‑ZPass services
have not made, and expressly disclaim any representation or warranty, expressed
or implied, relating to the transponder including, without limitation, any implied or
expressed warranty of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose or conformity to
models or samples. You agree that E‑ZPass Maryland and all entities providing E‑ZPass
services will have no obligation or liability whatsoever to you with respect to your use
or the performance of the transponder, except as specifically provided herein. You agree
to indemnify and hold harmless E‑ZPass Maryland and all entities providing E‑ZPass
services from and against all damage, loss, cost, expense or liability relating to, arising
from, or as a result of, the use, installation, performance, or removal of the transponder.
Please send correspondence, inquiries, payments and transponder returns to:
- In order to terminate this Agreement and voluntarily close your Account, you may:
- Access your E‑ZPass Maryland Account at ezpassmd.com and submit
a request stating your intent to close your Account and terminate this
- Send a written request stating your intent to close your Account and
terminate this Agreement;
- Visit an E‑ZPass Maryland Customer Service Center and request to close your Account
and terminate this Agreement; or
- Contact the E‑ZPass Maryland Customer Service Center at 1-888-321-6824
and request to close your Account and terminate this Agreement.
- Additionally, you shall:
- Pay all amounts owed to E‑ZPass Maryland, including:
- Pending toll transactions;
- Unused discount plan charges;
- Negative Account balance;
- Unpaid tolls, fees, and civil penalties as applicable; and
- Other Account related fees, as applicable.
- Stop using your Account as it is no longer valid for any toll activity
throughout the entire E‑ZPass system.
- If the financial settlement results in a positive Account balance, a refund will be
issued. If a negative Account balance results, a letter showing the balance due
will be sent to you for payment. Unused trips in a discount plan are not eligible
for refunds. Refunds are sent within thirty (30) days of Account termination in
accordance with a) and b) above.
- E‑ZPass Maryland may terminate this Agreement and close your Account at any
time and for any reason, including inactivity.
- You may return your transponder(s) to E‑ZPass Maryland for proper disposal since
it contains a lithium battery. If you do not return your transponder to E‑ZPass
Maryland for proper disposal, you are responsible for consulting federal, state and
local waste regulations to determine appropriate disposal options.
E‑ZPass Maryland Service Center, P.O. Box 17600, Baltimore, Maryland 21297-7600.
Inquiries and payments can also be made at:
ezpassmd.com and 1-888-321-6824
Nonrefundable Transponder Fee: Prices vary by model, See the Application, Part 3
Monthly Account Maintenance Fee, if applicable (see Section II.g)
Nonsufficient Funds Fee (returned checks): $25.00
Civil Penalty: $50.00
Additional Copies of Statements: $.25 per page
All fees are subject to change without notice.
Effective: July 1, 2015
View printer friendly version